Bumblebee Rearing and Pollination Consultancy
Adviesbureau m.b.t. het Kweken van Hommels en het Gebruik van Hommels als Bestuivers
Dr. Adriaan van Doorn
I am a specialist regarding the mass-rearing of bumblebees, as well as their application as pollinators of horticultural crops. My knowledge is based upon some 25 years of scientific research together with a period of working for a commercial company.
I studied biology at Utrecht University, The Netherlands, and carried out PhD-research on bumblebees at the University of Würzburg, Germany. Thereafter, I started working for a commercial company, Koppert Biological Systems, in The Netherlands. There, I set up a rearing facility for bumblebees and improved the technology for the mass-rearing. Subsequently, rearing units were also established in other countries, all over the world.
During my time with the commercial company, I mainly performed applied research. Furthermore, I was responsible for the training of the employees working in the rearing departments, both in The Netherlands and abroad, and carried out quality control on the bumblebee rearing units and the produced colonies at all locations. Moreover, I trained and informed company representatives, distributors and growers in using bumblebees as pollinators in vegetable, fruit and seed crops and dealt with customer complaints.
I gained a large amount of international experience, not only as a result of the above mentioned activities, but also as a result of attending over 40 congresses/symposia, at a quarter of which I also lectured. I speak English, German and Spanish and have passive knowledge of French.
In January 2006 I started my own consultancy company, BumbleConsult, and now I offer support regarding the mass-rearing of bumblebees (rearing techniques, equipment, housing, food, parasites and diseases) as well as regarding the application of bumblebees as crop pollinators. More specifically, I offer to do scans, to give advices, to perform research and to supply documentation. If you are interested, you can either phone me (++ 31 294 252504) or send me an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
List of publications
* Doorn A. van (2006) Honeybee and bumblebee pollination in the EC and worldwide. In: Abstract Book of the VIIIth European Congress of Entomology, Sept. 17-22, Izmir, Turkey, p. 101.
* Doorn A. van (2006) Factores que influyen en el funcionamiento de las colonias de abejorros en invernadero. En: Guerra-Sanz J.M., Roldán Serrano A., Mena Granero A. (Eds.), Segundas jornadas de polinización en plantas hortícolas, CIFA La Mojonera – La Cañada IFAPA, Almería, pp. 158-171. (ISBN 84-690-0698-3, and see http://www.agrobio.es/jornadas/articulos/ES8.pdf)
* Doorn A. van (2006) Factors influencing the performance of bumblebee colonies in the greenhouse. In: Guerra-Sanz J.M., Roldán Serrano A., Mena Granero A. (Eds.), Second short course on pollination of horticultural plants, CIFA La Mojonera - La Cañada IFAPA, Almería, pp. 172-183. (ISBN 84-690-0698-3, and see http://www.agrobio.es/jornadas/articulos/EN8.pdf)
* Velthuis H.H.W. & Doorn A. van (2006) A century of advances in bumblebee domestication and the economic and environmental aspects of its commercialization for pollination. Apidologie 37, 421-451.
* Krieger G.M., Duchateau M.-J., Doorn A. van, Ibarra F., Francke W., Ayasse M. (2006) Identification of queen sex pheromone components of the bumblebee Bombus terrestris. J. Chem. Ecol. 32, 453-471.
* Velthuis H.H.W. & Doorn A. van (2004) The breeding, commercialization and economic value of bumblebees, in: Freitas B.M., Pereira J.O.P. (Eds.), Solitary bees – conservation, rearing and management for pollination, Imprensa Universitária, Fortaleza, pp. 135-149.
* Altena K., Dissevelt M. & Doorn A. van (2003) Koppert Biological Systems: van pionier naar ‘professional’. Gewasbescherming 34, 151-156.
* Doorn A. van (2000) Koppert Biological Systems, worldleader in bumblebee pollination and biocontrol. Bee Biz 11, 3-4.
* Ayasse M., Birnbaum J., Tengö J., Doorn A. van, Taghizadeh T., Francke W. (1999) Caste- and colony-specific chemical signals on eggs of the bumble bee, Bombus terrestris L. (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Chemoecology 9, 119-126.
* Doorn A. van (1993) Bumblebees breaking through as crop pollinators, in: Veeresh G.K., Uma Shaanker R., Ganeshaiah K.N. (Eds.), Pollination in tropics, IUSSI, Bangalore, pp. 195-196.
* Doorn A. van (1990) Does ovarian activity influence the dominance status of bumblebee (Bombus terrestris) workers? in: Veeresh G.K., Mallik B., Viraktamath C.A. (Eds.), Social insects and the environment, Oxford & IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi, pp. 176-177.
* Doorn A. van (1989) Factors influencing dominance behaviour in queenless bumblebee workers (Bombus terrestris). Physiol. Entomol. 14, 211-221.
* Doorn A. van & Chrambach A. (1989) Retinue behaviour in bumblebee (Bombus terrestris) workers. J. Apic. Res. 28, 66-70.
* Doorn A. van (1988) Reproductive dominance in bumblebees: an etho-physiological study. Thesis Utrecht University, The Netherlands.
* Doorn A. van (1987) Juvenile hormone and worker behaviour in the bumblebee Bombus terrestris, in: Eder J., Rembold H. (Eds.), Chemistry and biology of social insects, Verlag J. Peperny, München, pp. 320-321.
* Doorn A. van (1987) Investigations into the regulation of dominance behaviour and of the division of labour in bumblebee colonies (Bombus terrestris). Neth. J. Zool. 37, 255-276.
* Doorn A. van & Heringa J. (1986) The ontogeny of a dominance hierarchy in colonies of the bumblebee Bombus terrestris (Hymenoptera, Apidae). Insectes Soc. 33, 3-25.
* Doorn A. van & Hogeweg P. (1985) Die Entwicklung des agonistischen Verhaltens innerhalb der Arbeiterinnenkaste und zwischen Arbeiterinnen und der Königin während der Volksentwicklung bei der Erdhummel, Bombus terrestris. Mitt. dtsch. Ges. allg. angew. Ent. 4, 328-331.